hongkong's best buns


Surprisingly, my favorites from my recent gastronomic adventure in Hongkong are primarily all buns.


Deep-Fried Creamy Buns with Egg Yolk from City Hall Maxim's Palace - It's a custard bun with salted duck egg yolk. The sweet creamy goodness of the custard filling balanced with the saltiness of the duck yolk is to-die-for! In my 2 visits, I have not seen these buns in the dimsum carts (carrying the 2010-HK-Readers'-Choice-Award-worthy dimsum) being pushed around the restaurant. Both times, my friend needed to stand up and order them while pointing to the buns on the menu (thankfully, with English translation and a photo). Three buns come in one order.


Baked Bun with BBQ Pork from Tim Ho Wan - The baked bun in itself is already pretty good. Moreso with the BBQ pork filling. I love the mix of saltiness from the baked bun and the sweetness from the pork. It is a pretty perfect bun! Three buns come in one order too.     


Pork Bun from Ippudo - I've only been able to taste Ippudo's pork buns in their New York and Singapore branches. But since Ippudo recently opened in Hongkong, I thought it should be included in this list of Hongkong's best buns. Unlike the previous two buns, this one is a steamed bun. But I think the secret is in the Japanese mayo that comes with the pork. 

There's a line at each of these restaurants but their buns make the wait worth it!

City Hall Maxim's Palace (Opens at 11am, Sunday 9am)
2F  City Hall Low Block (but more like 3F based on the escalator flights you need to take)
Edinburgh Place, Central
Tel: +852 2526-9931
Don't make the mistake of going to any Maxim's restaurant, not even the Maxim's Cafe in the same building. I suggest you read through Cindy's very specific directions here.

Tim Ho Wan
FLT 8 G/F Phase 2 Tsui Yuen Mansion 2-20 Kwong Wa St.
Mongkok, Kowloon
Tel: +852 2332-2896
This branch is not an ideal place to bring kids because it is a pretty small place. Am not sure about their other branches because rumor is that they don't taste the same as the original. Oh, and apart from their Char Siu Buns, you have got to order their Pan-Fried Turnip Cake! That is what turnip cake should taste like!

Ippudo
Shop 210, Silvercord Tower, 30 Canton Rd.
Tsim Sha Tsui, Hongkong
Tel: +852 2957-8893
They also have a branch in Causeway Bay, if that is closer to where you are in Hongkong. Oh, and make sure you order ramen since that is what they're known for. I remember loving their Akamaru Ramen in their NY branch but didn't quite like it in Singapore. I cannot quite recall the ramen I did like in Singapore, but they said it was their bestseller. So I suggest you ask the HK staff which ramen is their best and order that one.

Photos are my and my friends' own.

Click here for another gastronomic experience in Hongkong.

Comments

Popular Posts