wine etiquette


The thing about your birthday falling so close to New Year's is that it's too early to make new resolutions. So since you already know about my resolutions towards a new me here, let me instead share some new things I learned recently.



I expect a couple of celebrations this week that will put these 8 wine etiquette tips to good use.


Tip #1: Here are the rules to filling wine glasses. Fill red wine glasses 1/3 full, white wine glasses 1/2 full and sparkling wine 3/4 full. I know it's nerdy, but I love this rule!


Tip #2: Twist the bottle at the end of pouring a glass of wine - to prevent drips (and to give it a flourish!).


Tip #3: When clinking glasses, make eye contact with the other person. Or you'll risk seven years of bad luck, according to French superstition. You should also clink glasses individually with each person at the table without crossing anyone's arms.


Tip #4: If someone is toasting you (your wedding, your birthday, your general awesomeness), don't take a sip. Just smile and look humble. And to think, I always thought the toast wouldn't come true if everyone, including the celebrant, didn't take a sip!

 

Tip #5: Always hold your wine glass by the stem. Many people mistakenly think you only need to hold white wine by the stem (so you don't warm up the wine), but experts say you should hold red wine by the stem too, so you can see its color and clarity, as well as to avoid smudging the glass with your fingerprints. Otherwise, wine snobs might call you a "bowl grabber"!
 

Tip #6: Remember this tip on remembering that your drink is to your right on the dinnertable? Well, when you have both water and wine, your wine glass goes to the right of your water glass.


Tip #7: While taking a sip, you should politely look into your glass. (And not at another person, if you're in the middle of a conversation.) And here I thought not looking at the person you're talking to would be rude.


Tip #8: If you're the party host, it is your duty to make sure glasses stay filled. Wine expert John Thoreen says, "My eyes go to empty glasses immediately. It's a real radar thing for me."


Or happily forget all of the above, and just eat, drink and be merry!

Here's to a delightful dinner with wine tonight!

Tips are from one of my favorite blogs, A Cup of Jo. Photos from annnniegirl and acupofjo.

Comments

  1. I maybe a bit late but belated happy birthday! Also, I love the pictures, they are very cute and informative.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Anne It's still my birthday weekend so not late at all! Thanks for the greeting! As for the graphics, credit goes to one of my fave blogs, A Cup of Jo. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts